Speak Softly But Carry Many Thoughts...

Read, Rant, Rave, and Research!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

blog on readings for today

I was looking at tone and style more than content this week.

From Getrude Buck, I was noticing how formally people used to write in her times. She explains things so clearly yet eloquently. Are we falling behind in our formalities? I always tell my students that clear and simple is the best way to get a point across.

I am really enjoying Booth's Rhetoric of Rhetoric. His tone is just wonderful and keeps me engaged in all 3 chapters we read. Is this because he's an older rhetor and has already "been there done that" so he can finally do things his way? I like his definitions, especially "retrickery."

I also liked the philosophical style of Weaver's writing. It took a few pages for him to get to his point though. :P

Overall, the readings were entertaining in different ways and not too much to handle.

2 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I was surprised by Booth's tone, too! Not the typical "academic" writer you would expect to encounter. It could have been a self-help book or a newspaper column with its friendly readability!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger betajames said...

Could Buck or Weaver get away with writing in such a conversational tone or making parenthetical references to nameless critics and readers of the text? How would such acts impact the effectiveness of their pieces?

Also, I'd be curious to look over Booth's earlier work and see if there are any similar parenthetical references there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home